Organization & arrangement of materials
Organization:Series I. Photographs; Series II. Clippings; Series III. Programs;,Arrangement:chronlogical within each series
Materials housed in Special Collections Division of the Main Library, Nashville Public Library.
Restrictions on Access
In library use only. Available by appointment.
Scope and content:This collection documents the activities of the Blue Triangle League, later renamed the Blue Triangle Branch of the YWCA in Nashville, Tennessee, from 1919 to 1980. Included in the collection are black and white photographs taken by George H. Anderson, documenting the many activities the African American branch had available for its members, from study clubs to camping trips, to social events dating from 1919 to 1970. The collection also features a limited number of photocopies of programs and newspaper clippings about the Blue Triangle Branch from 1928-1980.
Preferred Citation of Described Materials
Cite as:YWCA Blue Triangle Branch Collection, Special Collections Division, Nashville Public Library
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Nashville Public Library does not have intellectual property rights to these materials.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Biographical or Historical Data
In 1919, the Blue Triangle Branch of the YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association) was established by African-American women in Nashville, Tennessee. By 1921, the group was able to purchase a building at 436 Fifth Ave. North that would become the central hub for their activities. During the years of segregation, the Blue Triangle Branch served as one of the few residences for single African-American women in the city of Nashville. The Blue Triangle Branch created a community for its members where the ladies could take personal enrichment classes and attend socials. In 1945, a drive was begun to fund a new building on Pearl Street which opened in 1953. During this time the teen program expanded and could be found in many local schools. In 1964, the Blue Triangle Branch and the Downtown YWCA's lunch counters became integrated, from 1964-1968 classes integrated. In 1967, the downtown YWCA's residence building fully integrated. The Pearl Street location ceased being used for programs in 1968 and the building was later sold to Grace M. Eaton Day Home in 1974.
Biographical or Historical Data
The directors of the Blue Triangle Branch were: Marian Hadley (1919-21), Mary E. Jackson, Anna Jackson(acting director), Mrs. Mattie Carr Chavis(1923-28), Miss Georgia E. Wares(1928-32), Miss Mabel Brady(1932-33), Miss Wilkie Knight(1933), Miss Rachel Taylor(1936-45), Miss Eleanor Mumford(1945-46), Miss Louise Gullate(1946), Carrie Hull (interim volunteer director), Anna D. Kelly(1955-61), Doris Outlaw(1961-63), Nan Gordon(interim 1963-64), Gladys Sherrill(1964-68).
Cumulative Index/Finding Aids
Finding aid available in repository;,folder level control.,https://assets.library.nashville.org/documents/finding-aids/Special_Collections_Division_Finding_Aid_YWCA_Blue_Triangle.pdf
Ownership and Custodial History
Photographs of the Blue Triangle Branch were loaned by the YWCA to the Nashville Public Library, Special Collections Division for an exhibit. The YWCA gave NPL permission to make scans of the materials for the collection.
Accumulation and Frequency of Use
No further accruals are expected.